Friday, July 1, 2011

Collaborative Technologies

The first element that I considered when beginning the decision-making of integrating collaborative technology was the collaboration program that I’d use. For my lesson plan, I chose a wiki, but there were many other choices such as Voice Thread, Smile Box, Flickr, etc. I chose a wiki because of the versatility of wikis. With a wiki, I could have a template developed and students can work from what I’ve developed. I also like the aspect that my students can be working on the same wiki at the same time. I reviewed the “Tips for Using Educational Wikis” on page 83 of our text. One of the tips for using educational wikis is to consider access. You’re going to have to decide who will be accessing it and what type is most suited for collaboration. Another concept that I considered was the audience. I know that the audience for my student’s collaboration will be their classmates, their families, and I’ll send out the link to other teachers to view. Limited technology availability was also something I thought about when planning. Since this particular project requires seven groups to create a presentation on a famous American, then had to plan to find seven computers for use! The most available option was reserving the school laptop cart for certain times. The school laptop cart’s schedule isn’t as busy as the school’s computer lab. If I chose to do this project after March then the laptop cart would not be available. Since I have young students, I’d have to plan time before we actually begin working with technology outlining my expectations for posts. We would spend some time discussing what’s appropriate to post, what’s inappropriate to post, and how much to post.

The great thing about wikispaces.com is that it’s a free educational workspace! All the teacher and students need to do is sign up and use it responsibly. Because Internet access can get pricey for a home, I would be sure to never require students to work on the wiki at home. I would always invite family to view what their child has done. I would welcome them into our school before or after school to view the wiki if they had Internet restrictions at home.

Future implementation:
The first project that I want to implement will be a famous Americans project (the one I slightly mentioned above). I currently do this project where I divide my class into about 6-7 groups of 3 and I assign each group a famous American such as Martin Luther King Jr. The group is responsible for researching important information that is outlined in a checklist. After the research is complete, they prepare to present all of the information on a poster. With collaborative technology, I plan to replace posters with a wiki. In an attempt to be more attentive with class time, I would like to collaborate with the computer technology teacher and have the students practice using a wiki during their technology class. When we use the wiki in class, the students would be more familiar with the technology. I also really like VoiceThread. I could see using this to post vocabulary words for the week and students could add sentences using the words. I could also use this at the beginning of the year to help introduce families. I’d really like to also look into doing something like e-pals where my students can communicate with others from a different school or state and even work on a project together!

2 comments:

  1. Amanda,

    I like your idea of replacing posters with wikis. That is great. For my students, I could replace a few with wikis. The problem I run in to with my students is they need the fine motor work. They need the chance to use paper/pencil or markers. The students will love the extra work time they get with the technology.

    VoiceThread seems like a great tool as well. I like your idea about students posting sentences using the word in it. That gives you a good understanding of who really knows the meaning of the word and who is still working on the vocabulary word. The idea of using it at the beginning of the year is great too! What a neat way for your students to learn about other families and the diversity within your classroom.

    You have some wonderful ideas about ways to incorporate collaborative technology into your classroom. Thank you for sharing your ideas. It has given me some things to think about when preparing for my students this coming fall.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also integrated the use of a wiki into my lesson plan this week. There are so many great ways to use wikis that the possibilities are really endless! Wikispaces is great! I have an account with them already, and my goal is to integrate it into my classroom more regularly next year. I think it's great that you are taking into consideration that not everyone will have Internet access at home. However, for those that do, they will be able to extend their learning at home. You have really come up with some great activities that students will really benefit from. I love your idea for using VoiceThread. Having students add sentences using the vocabulary words will be really meaningful for them. I also thought e-pals would be fun to implement in the classroom. I am sure the students would love to communicate with different kids! Thanks for sharing your ideas!

    ReplyDelete