Saturday, May 28, 2011

Bloggin for Week One-week of May 23


Where am I and where do I want to go with technology in my classroom?
 Overall, I feel like I use the technology in my classroom, but I know that I have so much more to learn about technology and how I can use different types with what I have available. Speaking of available-currently, my classroom has one computer, which is my desktop that sits on my desk. We are advised to not let students use our computer, but sometimes my students do. I have a laptop in my classroom, but that usually only lasts from August until February. After February, that pretty much disappears. On the computer, my students can access any internet website as well as downloaded applications. My absolute favorite piece of technology in my classroom, is my SMART Board! I love that I can be interactive with it, students can see what’s on my computer, and you can do so much with SMART Notebook! I also have a document camera, which I use occasionally. Other technology that I have
o   Tape players and cd players for my reading center
o   Camera for taking photos
As you can see, I feel limited at what I have! I am absolutely in love with new technology and getting it into my student’s hands! One day I hope to have several computers that stay in my classroom and some Apple products such as iTouch’s or iPads. I want to have the technology available at all times.




What are your top 3 elements of a 21st Century Classroom?
1) Technology! A 21st century classroom has to have 21st century technology readily available for student use. Students may not be able to use the technology at all times, but it is available and teachers are modeling how to use the technology.
2) Innovative and engaging lessons-teachers are planning lessons that involve a great amount of communication, the integration of technology, whether it’s from the delivery of the lesson or independent practice for students to use. Teachers consistently use 21st century tools to compliment the curriculum.
3) Opportunities!-these classrooms must provide the students with true learning situations where the students can apply learned skills in practical situations to help students prepare for the real world. 



What kind of learning environment do I want to create for my students?
I want to create a learning environment that is conducive for optimal learning, comfortable to take risks, supportive from all aspects, engaging for students in a variety of situations and medias, and motivating!


What resources do I have to help me create the learning environment?
I have the collaboration with others who have experience and can offer valuable ideas.  I also have an endless world of online resources that I can learn a lot from.

4 comments:

  1. I also feel limited in what I have as far as technology in my room. We are also advised not to let the students use our computers but there are times you have to because the laptops are being used for assessments.

    Thank you for sharing what you feel are the top three elements of a 21st Century classroom. I like how you mention "opportunities". You are correct in that the students should be given the opportunity to apply the skills they have learned to help them prepare for the "real" world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love my SmartBoard! There is something new I learn all of the time, and I love how my students seem to know more than me when it comes to all the SmartBoard is capable of! :-) Being able to take risks in the classroom is so important. Students must feel comfortable enough to take those risks, and they must know that they have support for their classmates and teachers. I also like how you mention opportunties as an element in the 21st century. We must provide opportunities for students to grow and learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my airliner and Smart Notebook software! I think that is one thing I would be devastated to lose. During assessment season it is frustrating when laptops are collected to make a portable computer lab. Are there any Palms available in your building? When I taught 5th grade at Ridgeview and Regency Place I had a class set of Palms that helped make the loss of laptops not sting so much. If there were some available you could use those while trying to get funds for apple products.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, I'd love to have something to replace the laptop when it goes. As far as I know our fourth grade only has Palms, but with the building inventory then I'll find out ;)
    Thanks for the comments! I absolutely LOVE my SmartBoard. I used to be big into creating presentations on PPT, but now with SmartNotebook, you can do the same, but with WAY more possibilities!

    ReplyDelete